Wednesday, July 6, 2011

sigh, Cy.


untitled, Cy Twombly

This week Cy Twombly passed. He was a great inspiration to my art and eventually to my photography. I know it might seem strange that someone who was known for such a raw and minimal approach to abstraction and mark-making might have an influence on one'e photography which can be highly technical and process oriented. But I assure it you it does.
After a few years studying art, and many years making it, I grew to have a greater appreciation for the lack of deliberation or contemplation in the creation of pieces. Pieces that ultimately became something to draw one in. To appreciate the subtlety of a moment in time. The energy of a line.

"
Mr. Twombly’s scattered, skittering thatches of chalk lines seemed like extensions of his own nervous system. Accruing randomly, like isolated thoughts or asides, they refused to imply any grand scheme or overreaching rhythm, which contributed to their psychological intimacy." -Roberta Smith

So this week I raise a glass to you Cy.

No comments: