Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Artsy? Part 1

Pic of the day 42/365
Crazy times...

Oh the agonies of caring about what you do for a living. It can be painful when others have so much control over your product your name gets put on. One word I have used most about my workplace is apathy. I just cant think of word that better describes the product produced daily. All but but a handful are passionate.

Many times I just don't consider my product, just my name next to a mess made by others. This is something I am having trouble becoming immune to. I am starting to see where the apathy of others come from. I am passionate about my work and want others to be. It would make the world a better place if all were less concerned about the pay check.

I almost got angry today. I was pushed to the ledge but now quite over.

"I know you wanna be artsy" That and similar comments are uttered in my direction quite often. This is because I attempt to bring creativity to the work I am producing. I try to tell stories without the people much of the time. It works and makes for beautiful images. The lack of a person can draw a person in and question what the reference for the place or objects, that will get them to read more stories. Sure, I could do the standard check presentation photo that is reminiscent of a police line up, but where is the fun in that? I wanna jazz it up and get people to look into the photo and not at it.

I am not the only one doing such things. Many things I do reference the works of others with an attempt to bring my perspective and twisted mind through to the final image. So now it is time for today's link

Photojournalists Are Getting Artsier -- But Is That What Audiences Want?

Thinking about this article and then the audience my work is reaching I think the police line up photos would be more pleasing and familiar to them. (If you know my audience you will get the joke) I don't wanna scare them with something new.

"The stylistic conventions applied to many news pictures today are redefining photojournalism. Today's photojournalists are more likely to infuse their work with artistic sensibilities that were discouraged just a few decades ago. Today, photojournalism, as an art form, has evolved -- even if readers don't always appreciate the difference."

In the rare hopes that one of my "artsy" images gets published and not butchered through the wretched layout and printing processes, I hope that at least one person will see it for what it is. That keeps me going.

2 comments:

kuster said...

As food for thought...

Where do you think the boundary is between being a PJ and being a street photographer?

A blurry line, no doubt, but I'm curious what you think. I suppose I'm playing devil's advocate a bit here, but it's always good to step back a bit and take a look at things :-)

brian faini said...

After reading you definitions I will put in my two cents

Photojournalism has a documentary aspect, indeed.

Not all PJ shots are worth giving a second look. Just because of content. Like the common check presentation. I hate that image it is dont countless times.

As a photojournalist you are to not interact or compromise the integrity of the truth in the moment you are documenting.
You must be a fly on the wall but in their faces in some cases.

Just like street photography, you are looking for a truth in a moment in time and space.

As a photojournalist you spend some days roaming the streets looking for a stand alone to fill space that has now story. So you become a "street photographer"

I don't always enjoy classifying things.